It's The First Week of Summer Vacation

"Mom! I am bored. What are we going to do today? There isn't anything interesting going on! What can I do now?" Sound familiar? Tired of the Mall? Moms in my neighborhood have heard the same thing. During summer vacations the kids really want some structure to their activities. Not as much as during school but some. Due to budgets, we can't really afford camps on a weekly basis. I found out that lots of moms have great ideas for crafts, trips, and other ideas that don't break the bank. I wanted to put some of those ideas into one place for the Moms of Northern Virginia especially those of us who live in Loudoun County. I also wanted to put some great day trip activites on this blog that aren't just in DC or inside the beltway. There are great trips and activities not just here in Loudoun County but in the Shenandoah Valley area as well. Please feel free to add new ideas, activities, trips, and other fun stuff! I wanted to put all my notes in one place with this blog, and I don't mind sharing! Think of this as a Mom's Guide To Survive The Summer With Your Kids!!!!! Enjoy!

Ann

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Project of the Week--Faux Leather Vase



Here is a project I did as a kid in a day camp in the late 1970's/early 1980's-Faux Leather Vase. I am amazed that many of the kids from an after school program or my own have not heard of or done this project before. Really easy project for the 7 and above crowd. Younger children can do this too but under supervision because of the shoe polish.

What you need:

1-bottle or jar (glass or plastic). I have used old/cleaned beer bottles, mayo/spaghetti sauce jars, mason jars, soda/water bottles (with labels removed)

Masking tape

Old style shoe polish in a tin/not a bottle.(You can find the shoe polish tins in any shoe dept. It runs about $2.75 at Wal-Mart. Believe me a little goes a very long way. I have seen three colors. Choose your favorite color. In this project, I am working with brown.)

Paper towels and/or soft polishing cloth

Directions:
1. Tear small pieces of masking tape and place pieces at various places and directions on bottle until bottle is covered. Make sure the tape pieces overlap. Don't place to many pieces of tape in one place. This will make your project clumpy and will not work with polish later.

2. Once bottle is covered with tape. Go over bottle and make sure all tape end pieces are laying flat.

3. Open up shoe polish tin. Take cloth or paper towel and rub polish in a circle about 3 times. Now gentle polish bottle in small circles until bottle is covered. Repeat this process until bottle is polished.

4. Let dry. Polish is not wet or very messy, but it can get on hands and furniture. I would suggest that you use newspaper or scrap paper on project work area. Have young children wear an old shirt over their clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment